TRIN 2780 - Internship
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: Students will have the opportunity to spend time observing professional interpreters and/or performing supervised work in the industry to gain experience and advance their skills. Certificate students are required to complete 1 credit (minimum 50 hours) of internship. Diploma students are required to complete 2 credits (minimum 100 hours) of internship; these may be completed as two separate one-credit enrollments. Students who are working as interpreters while enrolled in the internship may use paid working hours for up to 30% of the required internship hours. A Minnesota Department of Health and Human Services Background Study with no restrictions may be required for this course. This course may be repeated for a total of two credits.
Prerequisite(s): TRIN 1083 with a grade of C or higher or concurrently enrolled and instructor consent.
Note: students concurrently enrolled in prerequisite course must contact Records Office for verification.
1. Professional interactions and behavior with site supervisors, team members, and other professionals encountered during the internship
2. Application of theory and practice acquired in classroom settings in a professional environment
3. Reflection on personal and professional growth during internship experience
At the end of this course students will be able to:
1. discuss principal areas of personal and professional growth obtained from field experience.
2. make connections between in-class learning and real-world situations.
3. demonstrate appropriate behavior in a professional environment, including adhering to domain-specific protocols and to interpreting codes of ethics and standards of practice.
4. observe and/or perform specific interpreting and/or translation tasks under the supervision of a supervisor or mentor.
5. build professional network contacts in the field.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)