Jul 04, 2020
VCT 1071 - Introduction to Professional Photography Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course provides opportunities to explore composition techniques while employing fundamental photography concepts. Students will have the opportunity to explore the digital manipulation of images using various techniques. Students are required to furnish their own manual exposure digital camera and memory cards.
- Purchasing a digital single lens reflex camera
- Operating a digital single lens reflex camera
- Correctly exposing an image
- Shutter speed
- Advantages of the Raw format
- Camera settings
- Using Rules-of-Thirds for composition
- Exploring symmetry in photography
- Using shutter speeds to enhance action photography
- Exploring types of low-light photography
- Processing Raw images
- Careers in Photography
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- operate a digital single lens reflex camera.
- expose digital images with and without an 18% grey card.
- recite Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO settings.
- capture action images using slow or fast shutter speeds.
- apply principles of depth of field.
- test a digital single lens reflex camera’s ISO setting.
- articulate the advantages of the Raw format.
- capture images in the Raw format.
- process images using Camera Raw.
- calculate equivalent exposures.
- recognize images that are marketable in the professional photography field.
- expose low-light images.
- perform local and global corrections using editing software.
- implement ISO Expansion on DSLR cameras
- demonstrate the professional benefits of Live View
- articulate the importance of camera metering modes
- demonstrate selective focus control
- demonstrate proper use of photographic lens filters
- evaluate careers in professional photography
- capture images using professional composition techniques
- capture images of industry relevant content
- employ long exposure techniques
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)