Oct 27, 2020
VCT 2071 - Photography Lighting 3 Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course builds upon the intermediate skills in VCT 1078 - Photography Lighting 2 . Advanced techniques and equipment will be explored in both studio and location shooting. This course covers painting with light, light gels, neutral density filters, mixing light sources, and photographing a group.
Prerequisite(s): VCT 1078 with a grade of C or higher.
- Painting with light
- Match color temperature of ambient light
- Incorporating shadows for texture and background
- Advanced control of light sources
- Advanced camera and flash unit settings
- Portable energy systems
- 4 light studio setups
- 5 light studio setups
- Location photography using flash units and studio strobes
- Wedding photography
- High school senior photography
- Family photography
- Commercial photography
- Corrective posing and lighting
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- mix strobes and flash units.
- use gels to match ambient light.
- create shadow to build mood and backgrounds.
- use neutral density filters on light sources.
- use Rear Curtain Sync.
- use various battery packs and/or power sources for light sources.
- use 3 or more flash units on location.
- photograph reflective objects.
- photograph a group.
- use 4 and 5 studio lights for a portrait session.
- use light cubes and tents.
- employ continuous lighting and flash to paint with light.
- evaluate the application of lighting modifiers.
- Photograph portrait session.
- evaluate their work in the context of professional photography.
- use high speed sync with flash.
- plan a commercial photography session.
- evaluate body and facial analysis for corrective posing and lighting.
- evaluate photographer and client interactions.
- demonstrate wedding photography techniques.
- demonstrate high school senior photography techniques.
- demonstrate family photography techniques.
- demonstrate commercial photography techniques.
- create portfolio level work.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)