WLDG 1000 - Basic Welding Processes
Course Description: This course is designed to give students an introduction to basic welding processes along with identifying welding symbols and applied blueprint interpretation for welders. Topics include history, an overview of welding processes, an introduction to welding safety, and some tools used in metal fabrication.
- Welding History
- General Tools
- Overview of Welding Processes
- Overview of Welding Power Sources
- Basic lines, views, and dimensions on blue prints
- Structural shapes, other views, and sections on blue prints
- Basic weld joint fit-ups as they relate to weld symbols on blue prints
- Weld joint fit-ups
10. Weld symbols
- Obsolete and preferred
- Back or backing and melt-thru
- Plug and slot
11. Metal preparation and weld fit-up per blue print
At the end of this course students will be able to:
1. describe different types of welding.
2. explain differences among the types of welding.
3. demonstrate trouble shooting, problem solving, and critical thinking skills as a result of learning different types of welding.
4. set up welding tools.
5. identify welding safety techniques.
6. describe the general history of each welding process.
7. explain basic lines, views, and dimensions on blue print.
8. prep Material per dimensions on print.
9. describe structural shapes, other views, and sections on blue print.
10. identify obsolete and preferred weld symbols.
11. identify basic weld joint fit-ups.
12. Material prep and set up basic weld fit-ups from blue print.
13. identify and describe fillet weld symbols on blue print.
14. identify and describe groove weld symbols on blue print.
- square groove
- scarf groove
- v- groove
- u- groove
- flare-v groove
- flare bevel groove
15. prepare material and set up for specific weld symbols and tolerances on blue print.
a. square groove
b. scarf groove
c. v- groove
e. u- groove
g. flare-v groove
h. flare bevel groove
I. fillet weld
16. identify and describe weld symbols on blue print.
- back, backing, and melt-thru
- plug and slot
- surfacing edge
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)