Oct 27, 2020
WLDG 1011 - Introduction to Metal Inert Gas Welding Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: In this course, students identify personal safety rules, shop equipment procedures, and will focus on developing welding skills on sheet and plate metal in the flat position with the metal inert gas process. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
- Inspecting welds
- Metal preparation for welding
- Personal safety procedures
- Plate metal welding in flat position with MIG equipment
- Set-up, take down, and troubleshooting procedures on MIG equipment
- Sheet metal welding in flat position with MIG equipment
- Shop and equipment safety rules and procedures
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify shop equipment and personal safety procedures
- identify parts and accessories of metal inert gas equipment.
- describe safety precautions when using MIG equipment
- identify joint designs used in welding
- identify welding terminology.
- demonstrate proper use of shop equipment.
- prepare sheet and plate metal for welding.
- demonstrate operating procedures of MIG equipment.
- describe MIG welding methods.
- inspect welds for grading.
- perform butt, lap, corner, and tee welds on plate metal in flat position using MIG equipment.
- perform butt, lap, corner, and tee welds on sheet metal in flat position using MIG equipment.
- perform stringer beads with MIG equipment.
- perform weave beads with MIG equipment.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)