Feb 17, 2020
ABOD 1025 - Corrosion Protection and Body Filling Techniques Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This hands-on course introduces students to materials and techniques required for auto body corrosion protection and body fillers. Topics include mixing techniques, application procedures, sanding products and methods, abrasives, and corrosion protection. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete the course requirements by using all body fillers and corrosion inhibiters.
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher; AND instructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Types of body filler and when to use each type
- Theory and operation of various tools designed to apply body fillers
- Surface preparation
- Material preparation and application techniques
- Sanding tools and required abrasives
- Evaluation of work to determine if it is ready for the next step
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- describe basic body fillers.
- identify many fillers commonly used in the auto body industry.
- identify appropriate body filler for repair required.
- use correct tools and abrasives required to complete the repair.
- demonstrate correct preparation of materials and mixing techniques.
- correctly use specialty tools and equipment.
- use appropriate sanding tools required.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio