Sep 18, 2020
ABOD 1055 - Refinishing Exterior Vehicle Surfaces Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This hands-on course introduces students to the theory and practice of refinishing exterior vehicle surfaces. Topics include the operation of refinishing tools and materials, safety issues, environmental concerns, water-based and solvent-based paint, and paint procedures related to collision repair. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher; AND i nstructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Safety procedures and precautions related to auto body refinishing
- Theory and understanding of how solvents are used in the refinishing industry
- Proper identification and handling of refinishing materials
- Ground coat and top coat mixing instructions and how to obtain them
- Maintenance and operation of specialty refinishing equipment
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- identify safety procedures and precautions related to auto body refinishing.
- understand how solvents are used in the refinishing industry.
- identify primer sealers, primer surfacers, and clear coats in order to describe their functions.
- control the variables that affect the quality and speed of refinishing.
- identify and demonstrate correct ways for mixing automotive refinishing products.
- demonstrate the proper operation of specialty auto body refinishing equipment and tools for mixing materials.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)