Oct 27, 2020
ABOD 1075 - Plastic Repair Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This hands-on course introduces students to the theory and operational techniques for working with the different types of plastics found in modern vehicles. Topics include safety issues, methods of plastic repair, benefits of repair, and the proper set up and operation of plastic welders. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher; AND instructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Safety procedures and precautions related to plastic repair
- Identification of different types of plastics found in modern vehicles
- Proper set up and operation of plastic repair equipment
- Benefits of plastic welding
- Repairs of interior and exterior plastic components
- Maintenance and operational techniques of related tools and equipment
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- identify safety procedures and precautions related to plastic repair.
- identify different types of plastics found on new vehicle construction.
- identify different methods of plastic repair.
- explain the benefits and cost savings of plastic repair.
- demonstrate proper operation of specialty equipment and tools.
- control the variables that affect the quality and speed of refinishing.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)