Sep 26, 2020
ABOD 1095 - Detailing and Final Delivery Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This hands-on course introduces students to the techniques for preparing and detailing vehicles after repair and refinishing. Topics include safety issues, surface preparation and cleaning, detailing tools and materials, and final inspection. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher; AND instructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Safety procedures and precautions related to automotive detailing
- Theory and operation of polishing compounds and buffing pads
- Specialty sanding pads and distinct sandpaper grits for removing certain imperfections in the paint surface
- Basic buffing techniques
- Final detailing techniques
- Delivery preparation
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- identify safety procedures and precautions related to detailing.
- identify and describe the individual buffing materials used in detailing.
- demonstrate wet sanding techniques.
- remove runs from painted and clear-coated surfaces.
- remove dirt from painted and clear-coated surfaces.
- complete a general overall cleaning of the vehicle.
- complete a thorough vehicle inspection prior to final delivery.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)