Nov 28, 2023
ABOD 1115 - Introduction to Supplemental Restraint Systems Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This hands-on course introduces students to the theory and techniques for repairing automotive supplemental restraint systems, including air bags, curtain bags, and seat belt pretensioners, as well as related modules, sensors, and components. Activities include safely disarming supplemental restraint systems and replacing individual system components. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher; AND instructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Supplemental restraint system theory and component operation
- Supplemental restraint system disarming
- Supplemental restraint system component replacement
- Supplemental restraint system fault code retrieval and erasure
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- explain the basic theory of supplemental restraint systems.
- locate disarming procedures and safely disarm supplemental restraint systems.
- replace basic supplemental restraint system components.
- use a scan tool to retrieve and erase supplemental restraint system fault codes.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)