Jun 13, 2021
ABOD 1135 - Introduction to Automotive Air Conditioning Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This hands-on course introduces students to the theory, operation, and service of automotive air conditioning systems. Topics include the repair, evacuation, leak detection, and performance testing of AC systems to industry standards. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher; AND instructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Safety procedures and precautions related to automotive air conditioning systems
- Air conditioning operational theory
- Identification of automotive air conditioning parts and components
- Proper identification and handling of refrigerant
- Automotive air conditioning diagnosis, leak detection, performance testing, and service
- Prepare to take the AC refrigerant, recycling, and recovery test
- Maintenance and operational techniques of related tools and equipment
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- identify safety procedures and precautions related to air conditioning systems.
- describe theory and operation of automotive air conditioning systems.
- identify air conditioning components and related parts.
- evacuate and recharge conditioning systems to industry standards.
- diagnose, leak check, performance test, and service air conditioning systems.
- obtain the ac refrigerant, recycling, and recovery certificate.
- demonstrate proper operation of specialty equipment and tools.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)