AST 1105 - Automotive Service Technology
Hours/Week: Lecture .5 Lab .5
Course Description: This hands-on course introduces students to the theory and practice of tire, wheel, and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) service. Topics include the operation of basic and advanced tire mounting and balancing equipment; TPMS reset, service, and diagnostic procedures; and punctured tire repair. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): * Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND
* Permission of instructor.
Corequisite(s): Concurrent enrollment in AST 1055, AST 1065, AST 1075, and AST 1085 OR AST 1015, AST 1025, AST 1035, and AST 1045.
1. Safety procedures and precautions related to tire servicing and repair
2. Tire types and ratings
3. Basic and advanced tire mounting and balancing procedures
4. Tire Pressure Monitoring System service and repair procedures
5. Punctured tire repair
1. identify safety procedures and precautions related to tire servicing and repair.
2. identify and understand different tire types and ratings.
3. perform proper mounting procedures for standard, low-profile, and run-flat tires.
4. perform proper wheel balancing procedures using both conventional and road force wheel balancers.
5. repair punctured tires following US Tire Manufacturer’s Association guidelines.
6. reset, service, and diagnose Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS).
Competency 1 (1-6)
Critical thinking- During this course students diagnose problems on vehicles while having to consider multiple variables in order to correctly assess the problem. Using worksheets, students document their thought processes and decisions during the diagnosis. These worksheets are turned in, evaluated, and discussed.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)