May 24, 2022
Click here to visit the new Paramedic Dipolma award page.
Total Credits: 56
Major Number: 5878
CIP Code: 51.0904
This program is for EMT’s looking to advance their education to the paramedic level. Upon completion of the program, students may find career opportunities with ambulance services, police departments, fire departments, rescue departments, hospitals, and clinics. The program not only meets, but also exceeds the criteria for education of Paramedics as recommended by the U.S. Department of Transportation. The St. Paul/Minneapolis metropolitan area is home to a large number of ambulance services and hospitals who utilize a wide array of differing protocols and equipment that students need to be conversant in. Additionally, these agencies participate in many innovative research initiatives for which there is a need to prepare students for understanding and participation. These factors create a need to exceed minimum standards to produce top notch graduates who are prepared to work in diverse environments. The Century College Paramedic Program has been accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) since 1987. Students are eligible to complete the National Registry exam for Paramedics upon successful completion of the program.
Application Requirements for Paramedic Diploma:
- A completed Century College general admission application.
- A completed Paramedic Program Special Application.
- A copy of your high school transcript verifying graduation or GED certificate.
- A Communications or English course - It is highly recommended that you complete or be concurrently enrolled in, one of the following: ENGL 1021, COMM 1021, COMM 1031, COMM 1041, or COMM 1051, and complete with a grade of C or higher. Said course requirement must be completed by the end of third semester to be eligible to take the National Registry exam.
- A copy of current state EMT certification.
- Complete the general admission application to Century College, if you have not already done so. Please select “pre-paramedic” as your major. Please note: Applicants must be admitted into Century College to be eligible for admission into the Paramedic Program. All applicants must be in good academic and financial standing with Century College to be eligible to apply to the program.
- Complete the online Paramedic Special Application. The Paramedic Special Application is a separate on-line application and is not a substitute for the Century College general application.
- Deadlines for Application and selection process - The Program has an application deadline determined on a semester-by-semester basis. Once all required documentation is received, your application file will be considered complete and you will receive an acceptance letter. Selection is made on a first-come, firstserved basis. Please be aware that this program has a limited enrollment. If the class size limit is met before your file is complete, you will be placed on a wait list and your application will be deferred until the next available start date.
Career/Occupational Elective Requirements
MnTC/General Education Requirements
Goal 1: Communication
Select 3 credits
MnTC Elective Requirements
Additional Elective Requirements
General Requirements for Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates
See Century College Policy 220.127.116.11
All courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher. It is highly recommended that you transfer in all applicable college credits and meet with a counselor/advisor. The COMM/ENGL course required to satisfy the program requirement must be successfully mastered prior to the end of third semester, with a grade of C or higher.
Transfer, Articulation Agreements, and Partnerships
See the Century College website for information regarding transfer.
This program is intended primarily for employment preparation rather than transfer to a four-year institution. Some courses may not transfer to a number of four-year colleges. If you are considering the possibility of transfer, you may wish to talk with your advisor, counselor, or program instructor before registering to discuss your goals, look at programs designed for transfer, and develop a plan.
Program Learning Outcomes
At the end of this program students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to comprehend, apply and evaluate clinical information relevant to the role of EMS.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in all skills necessary to fulfill the role as an EMS provider.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in written and verbal form.
- Demonstrate effective decision making and critical thinking skill abilities.
- Demonstrate affective behavior, acumen, and rapport with patients and healthcare colleagues Demonstrate technical proficient.
Program Contact Information
Chris Caulkins, 651.779.5743 Room 1242B East
Kim Schmitzer 651.779.5798 Room 2297 East
Students are recommended to meet with their advisor, counselor, or faculty program instructors to create an individualized plan that includes prerequisites and application requirements. For detailed program information see the Century College website. This information is subject to change.
General Education Course
Course required prior to application for Paramedic Science program or be completed by the end of third semester.
Paramedic Course Sequence
This information is subject to change. Changes and updates are posted on century.edu
Century College is a member of Minnesota State. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and educator.
This document can be available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling 651.773.1745 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.