Total Credits: 56
Major Number: 5878
CIP Code: 51.0904
This program is for EMTs looking to advance their education to the paramedic level. Upon completion of the program, students may find career opportunities with ambulance services, police departments, fire departments, rescue departments, hospitals, and clinics. The program not only meets, but also exceeds the criteria for education of Paramedics as recommended by the U.S. Department of Transportation. The St. Paul/Minneapolis metropolitan area is home to a large number of ambulance services and hospitals who utilize a wide array of differing protocols and equipment that students need to be conversant in. Additionally, these agencies participate in many innovative research initiatives for which there is a need to prepare students for understanding and participation. These factors create a need to exceed minimum standards to produce top notch graduates who are prepared to work in diverse environments. The Century College Paramedic Program has been accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) since 1987. Students are eligible to complete the National Registry exam for Paramedics upon successful completion of the program.
Application Requirements for Paramedic Diploma:
- A completed Century College application
- An official high school transcript verifying graduation or an official GED certificate
- Minimum assessment score placement in MATH 0070 or above, or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher, or completion of MATH 1000 with a grade of C or higher, or successful completion of a MATH 1000 substitute such as an Adult Basic Education (ABE) course or continuing education equivalent.
- Completion of one of the following: ENGL 1021 , COMM 1021 , COMM 1031 , COMM 1041 , or COMM 1051 with a grade of C or higher.
- Verification of current state EMT certification.
- Current AHA BLS Provider certification.
- Completion of one of the following:
- Successful completion of both EMS 1025 and EMS 1026 (usually taken in the same semester), or equivalent from an accredited institution (subject to program approval), with a grade of C or higher in each course; OR
- EMTs 100 patient contacts verified by employer; OR
- If the applicant is an emergency department technician (EDT), registered nurse (RN), or has military medical experience (MOS 68W or equivalent), a minimum of 100 patient contacts while certified as an EMT are required.
An iPad 2 or comparable tablet (at least 9.5 x 7.5) is required for the paramedic program. This supports the use of electronic textbooks, medical applications, and clinical materials. The iPad or comparable device replaces the need for many of the traditional textbooks and educational materials and is a cost savings for students. Questions can be directed to paramedic faculty, at 651.779. 5794.
Admission into this program requires special application and is highly competitive. The college may not be able to accept all applicants that meet the minimum admission standards.
Students must successfully pass the MN Human Services Department and Emergency Medical Services Regulatory Board (EMSRB) background studies with no restrictions to be approved to participate in required clinical experience.