Feb 27, 2024
Total Credits: 18
Major Number: 5795
CIP Code: 51.0710
The Medical Office Support certificate will prepare students for work as medical receptionists or other entry-level positions in many health area settings. e.g., hospital departmental offices, clinics, chiropractic and health information settings. Students will be trained in patient registration, correspondence, interpersonal skills, document preparation, as well as terminology/language, insurance, electronic health records, and organization of healthcare settings. Students will be able to earn the short-term certificate and then continue to other existing offerings in a seamless path.
NOTE: Many of the courses in this certificate are delivered in an online format. This learning strategy helps to prepare students to be successful working independently in today’s high-tech medical office.
Please complete and submit the Program Prerequisite Checklist before you start this program. The form is a type-able PDF and found on the Office Technology - Medical program webpage. Download it to your computer, fill it out and send to Carla Tobin, email@example.com, OFFT instructor.
These prerequisites must be met for OFFT 2006 and OFFT 2010. These two courses are prerequisites for many of the other OFFT Medical courses in this program (OFFT 2012, OFFT 2013, OFFT 2021, OFFT 2030, OFFT 2031, OFFT 2032, OFFT 2035, OFFT 2041, OFFT 2044, OFFT 2050, OFFT 2783). Students should not register for any courses for which the prerequisites have not been met. Program faculty will enforce prerequisites.
- Declared Office Technology-Medical major with the Century College Records Office.
- Course placement into college-level English and Reading OR completion of ENGL 0950 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher and qualifying English Placement Exam OR completion of RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher and ENGL 0090 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of ESOL 0051 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0052 with a grade of C or higher.
- Completed all online self-assessments on the Century College Online Learning Guide (http://www.century.edu/support-services/technology-services/online-learning) to determine if technology requirements are met.
- ELearnReady is one of the self-assessments that must be completed. Students must have a score of 89 or higher on the Technical Skills portion of the eLearnReady survey.
- Typing accuracy of at least 85% and typing speed of at least 30 words per minute as measured on the SmarterMeasure Typing Speed and Accuracy assessment.
- A minimum score of 80 percent on Microsoft Office Suite Word http://www.gcflearnfree.org/word2013/quiz
Prospective students should be aware that a MN Human Services background study with no restrictions may be required for the practicums.
Career/Occupational Elective Requirements
MnTC/General Education Requirements
MnTC Elective Requirements
Additional Elective Requirements
General Requirements for Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates
See Century College Policy 188.8.131.52
A grade of C or higher in each required course (Career/Occupational and specifically designated MnTC courses) is required. A MN Human Services background study may be required for internships and employment.
Transfer, Articulation Agreements, and Partnerships
See the Century College website for information regarding transfer.
This program is intended primarily for employment preparation rather than transfer to a four-year institution. Some courses may not transfer to a number of four-year colleges. If you are considering the possibility of transfer, you may wish to talk with your advisor, counselor, or program instructor before registering to discuss your goals, look at programs designed for transfer, and develop a plan.
Program Learning Outcomes
At the end of this program students will be able to:
- Develop keyboarding speed and accuracy necessary for employment.
- Demonstrate knowledge to create, name, edit, format, store, send, attach, and print typical business documents.
- Demonstrate knowledge to use a Microsoft Office product to add and modify graphics and other visual elements to enhance written communications.
- Demonstrate the use of electronic health records.
- Produce simple medical billing statements.
- Schedule patient appointments.
Program Contact Information
Carla Tobin 651.779.5781 Room 2246 East
Susan Paisley 651.779.5781 Room 2246 East
Please note that this is a sample course sequence. Individual schedules will vary depending upon student needs, goals, and availability. Students are recommended to meet with their advisor, counselor, or faculty program instructors to create an individualized plan that includes prerequisites and application requirements. For detailed program information see the Century College website. This information is subject to change.
This information is subject to change. Changes and updates are posted on century.edu
Century College is a member of Minnesota State. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and educator.
This document can be available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling 651.773.1745 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.