Oct 18, 2021
ADCO 1060 - Professional Conduct in Addiction Counseling Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 3Lab None
Course Description: This course addresses the multicultural aspects of addiction counseling, professional and ethical responsibilities, orientation, consultation, reporting and record keeping, referral, case management and treatment planning. Students explore a model for ethical decision making in reference to chemical dependency. They also discuss confidentiality, professional boundaries, and rules of conduct. The course includes a minimum of six hours of ethics as required by the Minnesota Certification Board, Minnesota Association of Resources for Recovery, and Chemical Health and National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors. This course meets academic coursework criteria of Minnesota Statute 2005 Chapter 148c, Subdivision 5a, Area 2 and Minnesota Rule 4747. Service learning is a component of this course.
Prerequisite(s): ADCO 1020 and HSER 1030 .
- Ethical and Legal Issues Review MN Chapter 2005 148c Review MN Rule4747 Review ethical standards MARRCH MAADAC MN Certification Board Ethical decision making models Confidentiality HIPPA Federal and state laws Duty to warn Legal proceedings Boundaries of Chemical Dependency counselors
- Internship Finding and selecting a placement Portfolios, interview letters Making the most of your internship Supervision outline
- Working with Diversity Reasons for and resistance to diversity training Steps toward working with differences Knowing the diversity within us Confronting personal biases and ignorance Acknowledging prejudice and biases Multicultural aspects of chemical dependency; MN Rules 4747 and the ability to know when consultation is needed
- Stress and Self Care Stress affecting helping professionals Signs of stress and burnout Self-care, physical and emotional
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Discuss ethical behavior according to professional standards for the field
- Analyze boundary issues in the chemical dependency profession.
- Apply an ethical decision making model to an ethical dilemma.
- Compare a variety of cultural diversity issues related to chemical dependency
- Identify boundary issues in reference to chemical dependency counseling.
- Describe confidentiality and legal issues relative to patients in chemical dependency treatment
- Plan for an internship in the chemical dependency field
- Reflect on the service learning cultural diversity experience
- Describe techniques for dealing with stress and strategies for self-care
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)