Oct 18, 2021
ADCO 2010 - Addiction Counseling Assessments Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course addresses the screening, intake, assessment, treatment planning, and the multicultural aspects of addiction counseling, case management, referral, record keeping, reports, consultation and professional conduct. Students focus on addiction counseling assessment and criteria including Rule 25, the Six Dimensions of treatment planning according to Rule 31. This course meets the academic course work requirement for Minnesota Statute 2005 Chapter 148C and Minnesota Rule 4747.
Prerequisite(s): ADCO 1020 and HSER 1030 .
- Assessment/screening Definitions Relapse prevention Assessment of the patient Assessment treatment special population Patient placement criteria
- Review and discuss Rule 25 History Review Rule 25
- Treatment planning according to Rule 31 What is Rule 31 Overview Rule 31 ASAM Six Dimensions Severity risk scale Goals and methods Treatment planning Team meeting
- Assessment of addictive behavior in: Ethnic minority cultures Alcohol problems Cocaine abuse dependence Amphetamine use disorders Opioid use disorders Cannabis use disorders Club drugs, hallucinogens, inhalants and steroid use and misuse
- Case management for substance abuse treatment Why case management Case management brief history Definition and function 6 . Reports, records and consultation Documentation Adherence to applicable laws, regulations, and agency policies in reference to client information Consultation with appropriate resources
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Conduct an interview based on Rule 25 criteria
- Document an assessment summary from the interview
- Conduct an interview using a variety of screening tools
- Explain various assessment methods for addictive behavior in ethnic-minority cultures
- Produce case examples in the six American Society of Alcohol Medicine (ASAM) dimension format
- Devise a comprehensive assessment process that is sensitive to age, gender, racial and ethnic culture issues and disabilities
- Outline case management activities
- Formulate reports and relevant records integrating information to facilitate the continuum of care
- Create a plan for effective treatment service in collaboration with other professionals
- Document assessment findings and treatment recommendations.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)