Jan 20, 2021
EMSP 1280 - Integration and Transition to the Paramedic Role Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 2Lab 2
Course Description: This course is designed to synthesize and assess the paramedic students hospital and ambulance experiences, and advanced skills in preparation for National Registry practical and Computer-Based Test (CBT) testing. Emphasis will also be placed on transition into and regulatory requirements for the EMS profession. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): EMSP 1270 , EMSP 1271 , EMSP 1272 , EMSP 1273 , EMSP 1274 , EMSP 1275 , EMSP 1276 , and EMSP 1277 with a grade of C or higher; Minnesota Human Services background study with no restrictions; current state EMT certification; required immunizations; current AHA BLS for the Healthcare Provider certification; current healthcare insurance. Recommendation: Basic word processing skills.
Recommendation: Basic word processing skills.
- A. Career Planning
- Cover letter
- Application for employment
- Mock interview techniques
- F. Life-long learning
- G. Current trends in healthcare
- H. Promoting healthy life styles
- I. Dynamics of healthcare
- J. Role of the Paramedic
- K. Ethics, values, legal issues and professional accountability/scope of practice
- L. National Registry readiness
- Skills checklist
- B. National Registry readiness
- CBT preparation
- C. Intuitive thinking skills
- D. Critical thinking skills
- E. Collaboration with other healthcare disciplines
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- A. apply course concepts to electronic preparation exams.
- B. complete predictive exams.
- C. complete National Registry preparation requirements.
- D. describe the responsibility for being a life-long learner in the EMS profession.
- E. synthesize principles of EMS leadership and management.
- F. apply critical thinking skills to identify priority healthcare needs for patients.
- G. synthesize assessments and paramedic interventions.
- H. develop a comprehensive résumé, cover letter, application for employment, and portfolio.
- I. articulate job interview techniques and criteria.
- J. identify practicum expectations.
- K. demonstrate mastery of didactic materials.
- L. demonstrate mastery of practical skills.
- M. attend assigned clinical and field internship practicums.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)