Dec 07, 2021
HLTH 1005 - Basic CPR, Red Cross Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course is a study of Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and the use of an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED). This is a hands-on course involving adult, child, and infant situations. For certification, students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements by being physically able to do CPR skills on a manikin. Upon successful completion, students will receive the American Red Cross certification in Adult CPR/AED and Infant /Child CPR. Students will also learn basic first aid skills for pets. Note: HLTH 1005 is intended for the general population. For the AHA BLS for the Health Care Provider (CPR), see EMS 1010 which fulfills the requirements for Century Colleges Allied Health and Nursing programs.
- Understanding the Emergency Medical System
- AED use for adults, children and infants
- Breathing Emergencies
- CPR for adults, children, and infants
- Care for unconscious and conscious victims
- Emergency action steps
- Life threatening emergencies
- Signs and symptoms of heart attack
- Unconscious and conscious choking victims
- Victim evaluation
- Basic Pet first aid
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify the components of the Emergency Medical System.
- demonstrate how to use an AED for an adult, child, and infant in cardiac arrest.
- demonstrate how to give CPR to an adult, child and infant.
- identify the precautions for using an AED.
- recognize the signs of a heart attack.
- explain the three emergency action steps to follow in an emergency
- demonstrate how to use basic precautions when caring for victims of breathing and cardiac emergencies
- demonstrate how to check an unconscious victim.
- demonstrate how to care for a conscious and an unconscious choking victim.
- identify the procedures for victim evaluation.
- demonstrate the techniques used to dislodge an object from the blocked air passage of conscious or unconscious victim.
- demonstrate the basic skills for pet first aid.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)