Sep 25, 2021
RDNG 1000 - Critical Reading and Thinking for College Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: Critical Reading and Thinking for College is a college level course in reading which emphasizes critical reading and thinking skills using focused questioning. This course primarily presents and applies strategies for critical analysis and evaluation of college-level texts. Students will develop strategies to adjust reading rate based on need and purpose to enhance more effective textbook study and to increase college level vocabulary.
Prerequisite(s): Appropriate assessment score placement in RDNG 1000 or completion of RDNG 0900 or RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher.
- Application Non-fiction essays, texts, textbook selections, articles
- Introduction: The Reading Process
- Vocabulary Development: Contextual and Structural
- Fundamentals of Conceptualizing:
- Modes of Discourse
- Structure and Patterns of Organization
- Academic Thought Patterns
- Meaning of Punctuation
- College Textbook Processing
- Study Systems
- Domain (discipline) Specific Questioning
- Language Usage
- Denotation and Connotation
- Language Misuse and Abuse
- Figurative Language
- Critical Reading Processes - Questioning for Analysis and Evaluation
- Question at Issue
- Information or Evidence
- Point of View
- Inference or Conclusions
- Argumentative Reading
- Inductive/Deductive Reasoning
- Detecting Bias and Propaganda
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Question text using critical reading processes.
- Analyze text using critical reading processes.
- Evaluate text using critical reading processes.
- Demonstrate an understanding that reading involves the active integration of new information with past experience.
- Use the interactive process of conceptualizing to determine the structure of material for a variety of college curricula.
- Identify the academic thought patterns of organization in a text.
- Use a variety of strategies to increase vocabulary for college disciplines.
- Apply and adapt a specific study system for analysis and evaluation of college level texts.
- Adjust reading rate based on need and purpose.
- Increase their reading rate.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)