PEDO 1020 - Therapeutic Shoe Fitter
Hours/Week: Lecture 3
Course Description: This course introduces the role of the Pedorthist as a member of the rehabilitation team. The student will look at the relationship between the different professional organizations and credentialing requirements. In this course, students will look at the effects of disease and trauma related to functional loss in the foot and ankle. Students will concentrate on patient evaluation, measurement acquisition, and management skills to successfully fit therapeutic shoes and over the counter (OTC) foot orthoses and foot care products.
Prerequisite(s): Assessment score placement in RDNG 0950 or completion of RDNG 0900 with a grade of C or higher. MN Human Services background study with no restrictions will be required.
1. Professional role of the Pedorthist
- credentialing requirements
- professional organizations
- patient care team
2. Basic foot anatomy
- anatomical planes
- foot anatomy and its relation to proper shoe fitting
- basic medical terminology
3. Material Science
- common materials utilized in therapeutic footwear
4. Patient Evaluation
- evaluation of the foot
- identification of common foot pathologies
- identification of therapeutic shoe eligibility criteria
- foot measurement
- shoe selection criteria
- OTC device selection
- diabetic socks
- bunion splints
- friction management
5. Fitting of Therapeutic Shoes and OTC foot care products
- complications association with the diabetic foot
- fit assessment
6. Custom-Molded Shoes
- clinical consideration for use of custom molded shoes
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) documentation requirements
8. Profession Ethics
- professional ethical responsibilities
- scope of practice
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- describe the professional role of the Pedorthist.
- identify basic foot anatomy.
- evaluate patient footwear needs.
- fit therapeutic shoes.
- describe common foot pathologies and deformities
- identify common Over The Counter (OTC) foot care products
- formulate OTC foot orthoses recommendation
- fit the OTC foot orthoses
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)