Jul 13, 2020
AST 1065 - Electrical Principles Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab 2
Course Description: This course covers electrical terms, what electricity is, what it does as it flows through a circuit, series and parallel circuits, Ohms Law, how to connect and use a DVOM, battery theory, and how to test batteries using a VAT-40. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires completion of or to be concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1055 , AST 1075 , AST 1085 , and AST 1095 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher AND instructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Electrical Terms
- Circuits Components Series Parallel Series Parallel Circuit Principles
- Electrical Principles Magnetism Electromagnetic Induction Electromagnetic Induction
- Ohms Law Total resistance of a series circuit Total resistance of a parallel circuit Total resistance of a series parallel circuit
- Meter Connections in Circuits. Measure voltage Measure ohms measure amperage
- Construct Circuits. Design circuits Construct series circuits Construct parallel circuits Construct series parallel circuits
- Trace Circuits on Wiring Diagrams. Horn Parking and Headlight Turn and Brake Lights Ignition Starting
- Electrical Symbols
- Battery Construction and Components
- Battery Theory and Operation
- Safety Procedures
- Battery Test Procedures
- Specific gravity tests
- Load test
- 3 minute charge test
- Test Result Interpretation
- Battery Charger Procedures
- Jumper Cable Procedures
- Perform NATEF tasks during lab and shop times
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- follow all safety procedures and precautions.
- connect battery chargers and jumper cables correctly.
- perform NATEF tasks related to this course
- define electrical terms and principles.
- identify battery construction and operation.
- construct series, parallel and series parallel circuits.
- trace circuits on vehicle wiring diagrams.
- identify electrical symbols.
- perform DVOM and VAT 40 tests.
- interpret test results.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)