Oct 27, 2020
AST 1075 - Body Electrical Systems Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture 1 Lab 2
Course Description: This course introduces the student to reading wiring diagrams and testing common automotive electrical circuits. In this course, students will be exposed to wiring diagrams and how to test power door locks, power windows, the turn and brake light circuits, the blower motor circuits, parking, headlights and dimmer circuits, along with the wipers and washer circuits. Students will practice on training boards and then move into testing and repair on live vehicles. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires completion of or to be concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1055 , AST 1065 , AST 1085 , and AST 1095 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher AND instructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Circuit Tests Power Source Load Controls Use DVOM Use Test Light Use Jumper Wires
- Test power door lock circuits
- Test power window circuits
- Test turn signal circuits
- Test brake light circuits
- Test blower motor circuits
- Test parking light circuits
- Test headlight circuits
- Test wiper circuits
- Test washer circuits
- Test gauge operation
- Test driver information and warning systems
- Perform NATEF tasks during lab and shop times
- Safety procedures
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- read schematics and wiring diagrams.
- test body electrical circuits.
- perform NATEF tasks related to body electrical circuits.
- follow all safety precautions related to this course.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)