Aug 17, 2019
CRRS 1010 - Career and Life Planning Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course guides students through the lifelong career exploration and decision-making process, using various career planning strategies and resources. It includes an examination of individual strengths, personality types, interests, values, and skills. Student will explore the world of work, examine educational options, and establish specific goals. The course presents processes for determining what gives meaning to students’ lives and integrating the work role with other life roles.
Restriction: Cannot be taken for credit if credit has been received for CRRS 1005 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher.
- Introduction Career development theory Career decision-making as a process Decision-making styles and obstacles
- Life Roles Integrating work, family, and leisure Social influences toward career choice
- Putting It All Together Goal-setting Educational/career planning Job search, resume writing, and interviewing skills
- Self-awareness and career choice Identify interests, skills, values and how they relate to the work world Personal growth and change Communication skills for work and life
- World of Work Classifying work environments Gathering occupational information Career resources
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- discuss fundamental career development concepts
- discuss the lifelong career decision-making process.
- identify interests, personality types, skills, and values that affect career choice.
- identify cultural and social influences that affect career choice.
- discuss integration of work roles with other life roles.
- demonstrate effective job search skills
- formulate an education plan
- formulate career goals and plan.
- use a variety of career resources including the GPS LifePlan.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
[Add to Portfolio]