Nov 30, 2023
CAPL 2020 - Desktop Publishing Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 3 Lab None
Course Description: In this course, students will use advanced features and design concepts to create a portfolio of a variety of business and personal publications. Document examples include conference signs, cover sheets, fax sheets, agendas, memos, letterheads, envelopes, business cards, calendars, address labels, personal stationery, and certificates. Throughout the course, students will apply problem-solving, critical-thinking, and creative-thinking abilities as well as the hands-on computer skills to real-world situations.
Prerequisite(s): CAPL 1023 or instructor consent.
- Desktop publishing process
- Basic elements of a newsletter
- Brochures and booklets
- Internal documents
- Letterheads, envelopes, and business cards
- Newsletter design elements
- Personal documents (calendars, CD case covers, personal stationery/envelopes)
- Promotional documents
- Specialty promotional documents (tickets, certificates, etc.)
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence at desktop publishing using Microsoft Publisher and Microsoft Word software
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of layout, typography, and graphics.
- Create letter-fold and single-fold brochures, specialty promotional documents, such as tickets, postcards, business greetings cards, names tags, invitations, and newsletters using a variety of page layouts and design techniques.
- Apply the concepts and techniques of publishing learned in this course to personal computer projects
- Evaluate design elements in a desktop published document for the appropriate use of focus, balance, proportion, contrast, directional flow, consistency, color and page layout.
- Build a portfolio of documents and design elements.
- Create calendars, CD covers, personal address labels, and award certificates using a variety of graphic features.
- Create business letterheads, envelopes, and business cards using a variety of templates, fonts, and ruled lines.
- Use word processing software and publishing software to save text.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)