Dec 06, 2023
COS 1040 - Salon Preparation Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab 2
Course Description: This course prepares students for clinical experiences including salon management, Minnesota Cosmetology laws and rules as related to the salon business. This course covers soft skills required by salons, such as communicating with clients and other salon personnel. Topics also include retail sales and planning a salon business. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires 750 hours in Cosmetology or 125 hours in Nail Technician.
Prerequisite(s): COS 1000 or instructor consent.
- Appointment desk procedures.
- Business plan.
- Communication with client.
- Communication with coworker and employer.
- Goal setting.
- Hazardous waste.
- Minnesota Laws and Rules.
- Retail skills.
- Salon floor plan.
- Salon operating procedures.
- Service learning.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- discuss Minnesota Cosmetology laws and rules as pertains to salons.
- design a business plan for a new salon.
- design a portfolio.
- design a resume.
- demonstrate safe handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste.
- define salon management skills.
- describe appointment desk procedures.
- demonstrate communication skills with client and employer.
- demonstrate retail skills.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)