Sep 29, 2023
DENA 1061 - Dental Assisting Advanced Functions I Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course will focus on the following Minnesota Licensed Advanced Functions: impressions and bite registrations; placement and removal of rubber dam; removal of excess cement; placement and removal of periodontal dressing (demonstration only); suture removal; pre-selection of orthodontic bands; placement of ligatures, o-rings and power chains; placement and removal of orthodontic separators; application of enamel etch; and removal of excessive orthodontic adhesive with hand and rotary instruments. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): DENA 1020 , DENA 1031 , DENA 1041 , DENA 1042 , and DENA 1050
- Armamentarium for each advanced function and patient treatment
- Disease protection protocol
- Minnesota licensure rules, guidelines, and advanced functions to include MSDS and hazardous waste information
- Practice and perform on typodonts and patients, the following 10 expanded functions according to the Minnesota State Board of Dentistry guidelines: Placement and removal of rubber dam, dental impressions, placement and removal of periodontal dressing (demonstration only), dental cement removal, pre-selecting orthodontic band (demonstration only), placement and removal of orthodontic separators, application of etching materials, removal of bonding material and excess adhesive with hand and rotary instruments, suture removal, orthodontic ligature tie-in, o-rings, power chains
- Procedure and techniques for each advanced function
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Identify rationale for the Minnesota Licensed Advanced Functions.
- Describe procedure for each expanded function.
- Follow disease protection protocol.
- Select armamentarium necessary for patient treatment.
- Demonstrate dental assisting skills on typodonts and patients.
- Demonstrate knowledge of safe handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)