Sep 29, 2023
DENA 1063 - Nitrous Oxide Inhalation Sedation Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture 1 Lab None
Course Description: This course will focus on the utilization of nitrous oxide sedation for anxiety and pain control in dentistry. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. If a student is pregnant, a physicians approval is required for course attendance because of nitrous oxide exposure.
Prerequisite(s): DENA 1020 , DENA 1031 , DENA 1041 , DENA 1042 , and DENA 1050 .
- Armamentarium and documentation for nitrous oxide administration
- Flow rates for nitrous oxide and oxygen, titration, and diffusion hypoxia
- Human respiratory system and methods of pain management
- Identify and describe nitrous oxide abuse issues
- Levels of ambient nitrous in the dental office environment
- Minnesota Board of Dentistry requirements to administer nitrous oxide
- Nitrous oxide administration techniques and indications/contraindications for nitrous oxide use
- Patient assessment and selection and medical emergency preparedness
- Safety measures and ethical issues related to nitrous oxide administration
- Symptoms of minimal sedation and oversedation
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Explain how to use nitrous oxide inhalation sedation to manage patient anxiety and pain.
- Explain safety issues related to nitrous oxide use.
- Describe the anatomy and physiology of the human respiratory system as it relates to nitrous oxide use.
- Demonstrate infection control related to nitrous oxide use.
- Demonstrate knowledge of safe handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste.
- Document use of nitrous oxide.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)