Sep 22, 2020
ENGL 2027 - Newspaper Practicum Credits: 1-2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course offers academic credit for work involved as a staff member of the campus student newspaper, The Century Times. Two options are available. One Credit Contributor: Staff member will attend staff meetings, contribute story ideas, and collaborate with other staff members to produce issues. Staff member will contribute to each issue by writing an article and/or taking photographs, editing stories, designing and laying out pages, managing advertisements, and other duties as assigned. Two Credit Major Contributor: In addition to the duties of the One Credit Contributor, staff member will make a major contribution to each issue by serving a leadership role. Duties will include: assigning stories, photos, editing, and other tasks to staff members; making editorial decisions on final content and layout of all issues; organizing staff meetings and workshops; and promoting the newspaper at campus activity fairs and events. NOTE: This course may be taken in multiple semesters up to a maximum of eight credits.
Recommendation: Concurrent enrollment in or completion of ENGL 2025 .
Topics depend in part on One or Two Credit option
- developing story ideas
- gathering information at Century College
- collaborating with staff members to write and edit stories, lay out pages, and other tasks
- managing a publication staff
- assigning stories, photos, and other duties
- making sound editorial decisions
- promoting the newspaper and recruiting staff members
At the end of this course students will be able to: At the end of this course, students will be able to …
- develop story ideas.
- produce stories, photos, and related material for The Century Times.
- meet deadlines necessary to produce a quality publication.
- collaborate with fellow student staff members to produce a quality publication.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)