Sep 18, 2020
ECT 1003 - Desktop Client Virtualization and Mobile Device Support Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab 2
Course Description: This course will cover the skills needed to effectively design, deploy, and manage virtual computers as well as supporting mobile devices. Students will utilize an industry-standard desktop client virtualization product that is currently being used in the IT industry. Students work with virtualization software in order to compare and contrast the features offered versus normal desktop clients. Students will use functions and utilities, manage security, and deploy both virtual computers and virtual networks. Students will also configure, deploy, and support a variety of mobile devices running on different OS platforms. This course requires completion of ECT 1001 or concurrently enrolled.
- Introduction to Virtual Computing
- Understanding the basics of Cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, and GPS
- Understanding the challenges of BYOD, privacy, and the lifecycle for mobile devices
- Working with VMware Workstation
- Working with virtual networks
- Enhancing virtual security and performance
- Configuring, securing, and deploying mobile devices
- Supporting and troubleshooting mobile devices
- Introduction to APNs, GCM, and MPNs cloud communication networks
- Introduction to MDM (Mobile Device Management) management capabilities
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- define the concept of virtual computing.
- employ virtualization software features.
- identify a variety of industry-standard virtual desktop computing products.
- identify the host hardware requirements for different virtualization products.
- install VMware Workstation
- create virtual machines in a desktop environment.
- manage virtual computers using an administrative console.
- optimize virtual computer performance.
- create virtual hard disks and optimize them for size or performance.
- identify virtual network concepts and components.
- plan and deploy virtual network environments.
- secure both the host computer as well as the hosted virtual computers.
- employ Mobile Device Management (MDM) capabilities.
- identify different cloud communication networks.
- describe the differences between Cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, and GPS wireless networks.
- manage the challenges presented by BYOD, privacy, and the mobile device lifecycle.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)