Nov 27, 2021
FRTA 1092 - Firefighter II Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: Firefighter II is a continuation to Firefighter I, and along with FRTA 1095 (Hazardous Materials Operations), is intended to provide the skills and knowledge necessary to take the Minnesota Firefighter II certification test and function in a more advanced capacity on a fire department or service. The course will emphasize Incident report writing, fire suppression-flammable liquids, fire suppression-flammable gases, fire ground command, evidence preservation, vehicle extrication, assisting the rescue team, pre-incident survey, equipment maintenance, fire hose testing, and fire hydrant testing. This course requires medical clearance by a physician verifying that the student is fit to perform the sometimes physically demanding tasks of firefighter training and is approved for respirator use. This course is limited to individuals that are able to procure fire gear to use in training. This includes complete turnout gear, helmet, and self contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) with a mask.
Prerequisite(s): FRTA 1091
- Construction Materials and Building Collapse
- Fire Cause and Origin
- Fire Detection, Alarms, and Suppression Systems
- Foam Fire Streams
- Hose Tools and Appliances
- Hydrant Flow and Operability
- Ignitable Liquid and Flammable Gas Fire Control
- Implementation of the Incident Management System (IMS)
- Pre-incident survey
- Radio Communications and Incident Reports
- Rescue and Extrication Tools
- Vehicle Extrication and Special Rescue
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Write an incident report.
- Extinguish flammable gas and liquid fires.
- Preserve evidence on a fire ground.
- Communicate with other public safety personnel.
- Explain how building fire systems function.
- Determine fire cause and origin.
- Apply foam to fire.
- Explain the dangers of building collapse and how building construction impacts this.
- Operate a fire hydrant.
- Maintain fire equipment including hoses, hydrants and tools.
- Extricate a car accident victim using extrication tools and techniques.
- Conduct a pre-incident survey.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)