Dec 08, 2023
MKTG 1066 - Event, Convention, and Meeting Planning Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course provides necessary background for the planning of special events, conventions, and meetings for commercial businesses and non-profit community organizations. Effective planning is a dynamic process that begins well in advance of actual production. It includes organizational mission and goal setting, audience targeting, branding, effective marketing communications, sponsorship development, program planning, logistics, risk management, crisis planning, and a variety of other elements that ensure safety, service, entertainment, and satisfaction for all event stakeholders and participants.
Recommendation: MKTG 2050 and MKTG 2063
- Anatomy of an Event/Convention and/or Meeting
- Accommodating Audiences, ADA Issues
- Ancillary Programs ¿ Sponsorships, Partnerships, Alliances
- Coordinating the Overall Environment
- Event Element Assessment
- Food and Beverage Operations
- Fundamentals of Event/Convention and/or Meeting Production
- Knowledge Management
- Marketing Messages
- Providing Infrastructure
- Safe Operations
- Site Selection and Development
- Staging an Entertainment Experience
- Strategies for Successful Implementation
- Targeting the Audience
- Vendors and Volunteers
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- develop a comprehensive written plan for a special event, convention, or meeting that includes organizational mission and goals.
- create supporting organizational charts, job descriptions, production timelines and other necessary tactical, operational, and logistical documentation related to event production.
- identify potential risks inherent to a specific event, convention, meeting production.
- devise strategies to evaluate risk, eliminate risk, manage risk, or transfer risk.
- collaborate with community officials and public safety professionals in crisis planning for a specific event, convention, meeting.
- compose marketing messages for target audiences, targeted sponsors, and information media.
- design collateral marketing materials to support an event, convention, meeting production plan.
- evaluate the success of an event, convention, meeting production.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)