Sep 18, 2020
OFFT 2035 - Advanced Coding Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: Students will apply codes to advanced medical case studies, using ICD-10 CM/PCS. Topics will include compliance, diagnosis codes, procedural codes, DSM-IV, computerized encoding systems, reimbursement, and code linkage.
Prerequisite(s): OFFT 2031 and OFFT 2032 with grades of C or higher, or instructor consent.
- Case Studies
- Code Linkage
- Complex case studies
- Computerized encoding system
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition (DSM-IV) coding systems
- Diagnostic-based prospective payment groupers
- International Classification of Diseases-10 CM/PCS
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- interpret medical charts.
- assign International Classification of Diseases-10 CM/PCS codes to complex case studies.
- verify that coded data are supported by medical record documentation.
- identify Diagnosis-Related Groups (DRG), All Payer Refined-Diagnosis-Related Groups (APR-DRG), & Resource Utilization Groups (RUGs).
- compare ICD-10 with other coding systems.
- discuss compliance issues.
- utilize computerized encoding system.
- explain official coding guidelines and reporting requirements.
- describe the impact coding and sequencing has on reimbursement.
- assign procedure codes to complex case studies.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)