Nov 30, 2023
COS 1027 - Preclinic Chemical Control and Haircolor Credits: 4
Course Description: This course provides an introduction to cosmetology chemicals, haircolor, and their applications. This includes curl reformation, permanent waving, soft curl perming, chemical relaxers, and temporary, demi-permanent, permanent haircolor, as well as hair lightening and corrective color. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires completion of or to be concurrently enrolled in COS 1000 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher.
- Temporary hair color
- Semi-permanent hair color
- Permanent hair color
- Lightening hair color
- Ingredients in chemicals
- Selecting proper chemicals- client consultation
- Permanent wave chemicals/wraps
- Processing of permanent waves
- Chemicals used for relaxing highly textured hair
- Procedure for relaxing highly textured hair
- Procedure for soft curl perming
- Safety precautions as related to perming, relaxing, haircolor/high lift systems
- Proper disposal of hazardous waste
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- describe basic knowledge of chemical composition for all chemical hair services.
- demonstrate safe handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste.
- describe basic knowledge on different permanent wave and haircolor types.
- demonstrate proper techniques for permanent wave, curl reformation, relaxer, virgin/ retouch color, and high lift systems.
- practice proper safety precautions for chemical application.
- identify proper sanitation practices.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)