Dec 03, 2023
CMAE 1518 - Manufacturing Processes and Production Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab None
Course Description: This course covers Just-In-Time (JIT) manufacturing principles, basic supply chain management, communication skills, and customer service. The course curriculum is based upon federally-endorsed national standards for production workers. It is designed to align with the National Manufacturing Skill Standards Council’s (MSSC) assessment and certification system for Manufacturing Processes.
- Customer needs: internal customers; product aspects and printed specifications; review of customer needs; communication of needs to others including shift-to-shift, co-workers, and managers; proactively meeting customer needs.
- Resources: checking raw materials and tools and equipment against work orders; communication of production discrepancies; placement of resources at the workstation; scheduling workers.
- Set-up of equipment: adjustment to equipment prior to service; set-up meeting process requirements; production specifications; documentation of set-up procedures; ergonomic, health, safety, and environmental standards
- Production goals: specific, measurable and achievable goals; alignment with customer and business needs; relationship between goals and team objectives; communication of team goals
- Job assignments: matching skills to assignments; maximization of available skills; relationship between job assignments and customer needs; effective notification of workers regarding job assignments
- Work flow: meeting production schedules; notification regarding schedule requirements; efficient production work flow; minimizing downtime; active participation in problem-solving groups
- Communication: reflects knowledge of production requirements, levels, and product specification, delivery issues, schedules; demonstration knowledge of customer needs; initiation of communication that is cross-functional, timely, accurate; relevance to production and products; tracking communications
- Processes: process control data needed; manufacturing process cycle time; ensure product meets specifications; labeling of products; compliance with health, safety, environmental policies and practices
- Documentation and compliance process: compliance documentation; obtaining ‘sign off’; process for labeling products for compliance and non-compliance
- Shipping product: procedure to ensure packaging materials meet shipping specification, labeling, safety requirements; documentation for packaging and shipping; communication of product availability; checking of packaging instructions against work order; storage and staging procedure for shipping; laws and regulations regarding labeling, packaging, transporting product; material handling procedures to prevent product damage
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- explain aspects of identifying customer needs.
- discuss how to determine resources available for the production process.
- identify set-up and verification of equipment for the production process.
- describe the process of setting team production goals.
- explain job assignments.
- identify work flow with team members and other work groups.
- discuss communication of production, material requirements, and product specifications.
- explain how to perform, monitor, and document the process to make the product.
- identify documentation and compliance process in regards to customer requirements.
- explain the process of preparing the final product for shipping or distribution.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)