Feb 06, 2023
ECAD 1023 - Blueprint Reading for Renewable Energy Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course is designed to give students an understanding of the concepts required to read industrial blueprints in the Renewable Energy fields. Topics include sketching, multi-view drawing, symbols to include welding and electrical, scaling, dimensioning, finishes, screw threads, auxiliary and assembly drawings, an introduction to Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing. Also covered is an introduction to Autodesk Design Review software. Restriction: Closed to students who have earned credit for ECAD 1020.
Recommendation: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and calculate simple percentages with the use of a calculator.
- CAD systems and the Cartesian coordinate system
- Design Review Software
- Detail and Assembly Drawings (Hard Copy and Electronic)
- Dimensioning and Symbols
- Drawing Conventions
- Freehand Sketching
- Introduction to Geometric Dimensioning Tolerancing
- Measuring and Scaling Drawings (Hard Copy and Electronic)
- Section and Auxiliary Views
- Single- and Multi-view Drawing
- Surface Finishes
- Threaded and Non-threaded Fasteners
- Welding and Electrical Symbols
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- import electronic drawings into Autodesk Design Review software.
- take dimensions through Design Review.
- interpret welding and electrical symbols.
- apply dimensioning practices.
- create freehand sketches with lettering.
- describe objects with multi-view sketches.
- explain how CAD systems use the Cartesian coordinate system.
- describe surface finishes.
- interpret screw thread specifications.
- measure drawings using various scales.
- identify various fasteners.
- identify Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing symbols.
- interpret Engineering drawings.
- make notes on electronic drawings through Design Review.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)