Sep 28, 2023
ESOL 0043 - Listening and Speaking IV Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course provides students with knowledge and practice of listening, speaking and note-taking skills in American English that are necessary in order to be successful in future academic courses. Coursework includes listening to lectures and media programs, participating in discussions, conducting interviews, giving presentations and practicing clear speech.
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ESOL 0043, background information, oral interview, and writing sample or ESOL 0033 with a grade of C or higher.
- Clear Speaking/Pronunciation Articulation Word and sentence stress Reductions and linking
- Listening oDemonstrating comprehension of stated and implied information in modified academic lectures, media programs, discussions and presentations Demonstrating intermediate note-taking skills with attention to organization and distinction between main ideas and details Increasing recognition of new vocabulary
- Speaking Increasing production of new vocabulary Preparing and giving individual or group presentations Participating effectively in small and large group academic discussions Conducting interviews on a variety of topics Using both academic and social English effectively, in context Increasing delivery skills, composure, and intelligibility
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate improvement in articulation, word and sentence stress, reductions, and linking.
- Increase delivery skills, composure, and intelligibility.
- Increase recognition and production of new vocabulary.
- Participate effectively in small and large group academic discussions.
- Successfully conduct interviews on a variety of topics.
- Use both academic and social English effectively, in context.
- Demonstrate intermediate note-taking skills with attention to organization and distinction between main ideas and details.
- Demonstrate comprehension of stated and implied information in modified academic lectures, media programs, discussions, and presentations.
- Prepare and give individual or group presentations.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)