Jun 03, 2023
MATH 0070 - Intermediate Algebra Credits: 5
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This course is equivalent to a second course in high school algebra. Topics include polynomials and rational expressions and equations; systems of linear equations; linear, absolute value, polynomial, and rational inequalities; rational exponents, radicals, and complex numbers; linear, quadratic, exponential, and logarithmic functions; and the binomial theorem. A graphing calculator is required. Instruction will be provided in the use of the TI-83/TI-84 calculator. Offered F, S, SS.
Prerequisite(s): MATH 0030 with a grade of C or higher, or assessment score placement in MATH 0070.
- Rational Expressions and Equations
- Functional and Graphs
- Systems of Equations
- Exponents and Radicals
- Quadratic Functions and equations
- Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Exponents, Radicals, and Complex Numbers
- Parabolas and Circles
- Binomial Theorem
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate critical and logical reasoning when solving problems.
- Simplify polynomial, rational, radical, complex, exponential, and logarithmic expressions symbolically.
- Solve polynomial, rational, absolute value, radical, exponential, and logarithmic equations symbolically.
- Solve linear compound, polynomial, rational, and absolute value inequalities symbolically.
- Solve systems of linear equations symbolically and graphically.
- Solve systems of linear inequalities graphically.
- Evaluate functions.
- Identify the domain and range of functions symbolically and graphically.
- Determine the sum, difference, product, quotient, composition, and inverse of functions.
- Graph linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic functions by hand and with technology.
- Apply the Binomial Theorem.
- Graph parabolas and circles by hand.
- Model and solve applied problems using linear, rational, radical, quadratic, exponential, and logarithmic equations.
- Write the equation of a line, parabola, or circle given certain conditions
- communicate clearly a problems solution and its explanation for the intended audience in terms of the problem posed.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)