Oct 22, 2021
SOLR 2035 - Solar Thermal Lab Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: In this course, students will build, test, and commission a working solar thermal system. Taken concurrently with SOLR 2030 , students will practice safely working on roofs, mounting solar collectors, routing pipes, and connecting the collectors to heat exchangers and storage tanks. Students will also wire and mount control systems and monitor the performance of their solar system.
Prerequisite(s): SOLR 1020 and SOLR 1030 or consent of instructor. Concurrent enrollment in SOLR 2030 .
- Roof Work
- Collector Mounting
- Collector Plumbing
- Controls, gauges and meters.
- Storage and heat exchanger
- System types
- Commissioning a solar thermal system
- Load Types
- Normal operation of solar thermal systems
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- demonstrate proficiency in locating roof rafters.
- apply appropriate caulks to roof penetrations and flashings.
- successfully install a roof boot into an asphalt shingle roof.
- install mounting clips onto a standing seam metal roof.
- mount solar thermal panels using a variety of hardware.
- demonstrate proficiency in laying out, measuring, cutting, reaming, and soldering copper pipes.
- demonstrate proficiency in preparing and tightening threaded connections.
- support piping and wiring to code.
- flush and commission a solar hot water system.
- symmetrically lay out a solar array on a roof.
- install lag bolts into rafters and verify they are structurally sound.
- collect flow, pressure, and temperature measurements for a solar hot water system.
- describe the function of all components in a solar thermal system.
- label all major components in a solar thermal system.
- critique the installation details of a solar hot water system.
- explain the regular operation of a solar hot water system and describe typical pressure, temperature and flow readings.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)