May 18, 2022
RDNG 0940 - Academic Literacy Credits: 5
Hours/Week: Lecture 5 Lab None
Course Description: This course provides intensive instruction in critical thinking, reading, and writing to prepare students for college-level coursework. Students explore theme-based readings from a variety of genres. Coursework emphasizes independent reading of complex texts, critical response to ideas and information in academic texts, and writing essays that integrate ideas and information from academic texts. All students registered for RDNG 0940 also register for RDNG 0930 , and STSC 1021 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into RDNG 0940.
Corequisite(s): RDNG 0930
Recommendation: Word processing proficiency and basic computer skills.
- Academic literacy and academic discourse
- Independent, sustained reading
- Text-processing strategies
- The reading-writing process
- Academic vocabulary building
- Organization of ideas
- Critical reading, writing, and thinking
- Response to academic texts
- Evaluating and using source materials
- Audience awareness
- Writing and evaluating arguments
- Grammar, punctuation, spelling, and usage
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- use pre-reading and reading strategies to facilitate understanding of texts.
- read actively and critically.
- use annotation effectively.
- employ a variety of strategies for building academic vocabulary.
- identify abstract ideas found in complex academic texts.
- deconstruct abstract ideas found in complex academic texts.
- explain valid inferences based on information in texts.
- evaluate arguments for validity and credibility.
- synthesize ideas and information from multiple sources and varying points of view.
- write well-organized, unified, and coherent essays with a thesis statement.
- evaluate the validity and reliability of sources.
- support ideas with adequate and varied evidence.
- tailor language to address a specific audience.
- detect and correct grammatical and mechanical errors.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)