Nov 27, 2021
2017-2018 Course Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Basic Automotive Service Certificate
Total Credits: 27
Major Number: 5741
CIP Code: 47.0604
This program prepares the student to perform automotive repairs in the following areas: Tire service, lubrication, exhaust, body electrical, starting, charging, brakes, steering and suspension, wheel alignment, and standard drive train. This person will also be prepared to take the ASE certification tests in the following areas: electrical/electronic systems, suspension and steering, brakes, and manual drive train and axles.
- Minimum assessment score placement in RDNG 0950 or completion of RDNG 0900 with a grade of C or higher
- Arithmetic assessment score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra assessment score of 76 or higher
- OR assessment score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above
- OR completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher.
- We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math assessment retesting or registering for a Math course. Contact the Advising, Counseling and Career Center at 651.779.3285, West 2410.
See the AST program webpage for program admission procedures and requirements. Due to the high demand for this program, the college cannot guarantee that students will start their career/occupational coursework in their early semesters. Remedial courses, if needed based on assessment test scores, are usually available. AST program courses start FALL semester only, full-time, day schedule required.
Career/Occupational Elective Requirements
MnTC/General Education Requirements
MnTC Elective Requirements
Additional Elective Requirements
General Requirements for Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates
See Century College Policy 184.108.40.206
AST courses start Fall Semester only. Please refer to the AST program webpage for more information regarding the AST admission and registration process.
Transfer, Articulation Agreements, and Partnerships
See the Century College website for information regarding transfer.
This program is intended primarily for employment preparation rather than transfer to a four-year institution. Some courses may not transfer to a number of four-year colleges. If you are considering the possibility of transfer, you may wish to talk with your advisor, counselor, or program instructor before registering to discuss your goals, look at programs designed for transfer, and develop a plan.
Program Learning Outcomes
At the end of this program students will be able to:
- Acquire sufficient amounts of knowledge to become ASE (National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence) certified.
- Demonstrate training meets employers’ needs and industry standards.
- Demonstrate quality work habits and ethical practices.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and diagnostic skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of safety issues, including hazardous materials and environmental issues, in the workplace.
Program Contact Information
Tim Micko 651.773.1783 Room 2565 East
Don Simmel 651.773.1782 Room 2565 East
Sean Tipping 651.779.3429 Room 2565 East
Please note that this is a sample course sequence. Individual schedules will vary depending upon student needs, goals, and availability. Students are recommended to meet with their advisor, counselor, or faculty program instructors to create an individualized plan that includes prerequisites and application requirements. For detailed program information see the Century College website. This information is subject to change.
This information is subject to change. Changes and updates are posted on century.edu
Century College is a member of the Minnesota State system. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and educator. This document can be available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling 651.779.3354 or 1.800.228.1978 x 3354.