Nov 27, 2021
Total Credits: 52
Major Number: 5645
CIP Code: 12.0401
This Cosmetology diploma includes instruction in theory and practical application techniques of hair styling, cutting, coloring, permanent waving, chemical hair relaxing, nail and skin care. Completion of this diploma prepares students for state written exam and certification of skills as required by the Minnesota cosmetology laws and rules for licensure.
Assessment score placement in RDNG 0950 or above, or completion of RDNG 0900 with a grade of C or higher.
New Cosmetology students begin COS program courses Fall semester only, full-time day.
Career/Occupational Elective Requirements
MnTC/General Education Requirements
MnTC Elective Requirements
Additional Elective Requirements
High School Diploma, Certification of Skills Practical Exam, and State Licensing Exam are required for Licensure.
General Requirements for Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates
See Century College Policy 22.214.171.124
Transfer, Articulation Agreements, and Partnerships
See the Century College website for information regarding transfer.
This program is intended primarily for employment preparation rather than transfer to a four-year institution. Some courses may not transfer to a number of four-year colleges. If you are considering the possibility of transfer, you may wish to talk with your advisor, counselor, or program instructor before registering to discuss your goals, look at programs designed for transfer, and develop a plan.
Program Learning Outcomes
At the end of this program students will be able to:
- Demonstrate academic and skill proficiency at an entry level hair/nail technician and acquire sufficient amounts of knowledge to pass the state practical and written exams.
- Demonstrate effective and appropriate communication with clients.
- Demonstrate proficiency and skill as well as being able to analyze nail care, shampooing, conditioning, hair coloring, hair styling, permanent waving, chemical hair relaxing, facial treatments, applying makeup, and all areas of hair cutting based on clients’ needs and wants.
- Demonstrate proper safety and sanitation, as well as safe handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste as governed by Minnesota law and rules.
- Identify and interpret Minnesota cosmetology rules and laws as well as demonstrating ethical business practices in the salon including cash handling and reporting.
Program Contact Information
Thom Costa (student apps) 651.779.3912 Room 3361 East
Dawn Goebel 651.747.4069 Room 3361 East
Please note that this is a sample course sequence. Individual schedules will vary depending upon student needs, goals, and availability. Students are recommended to meet with their advisor, counselor, or faculty program instructors to create an individualized plan that includes prerequisites and application requirements. For detailed program information see the Century College website. This information is subject to change.
This information is subject to change. Changes and updates are posted on century.edu
Century College is a member of the Minnesota State system. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and educator. This document can be available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling 651.779.3354 or 1.800.228.1978 x 3354.