Nov 30, 2023
AST 1005 - Automotive Workplace Safety Credits: 1
Hours/Week: Lecture 1 Lab None
Course Description: This course covers safe practices in the automotive workplace. Topics include the labeling, handling, storage, removal, disposal, and recycling of hazardous and toxic materials, Minnesota Right to Know Act, and emergency shop procedures. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires completion of or to be concurrently enrolled in AST 1015 , AST 1025 , AST 1035 , and AST 1045 or concurrently enrolled in AST 1055 , AST 1065 , AST 1075 , AST 1085 , and AST 1095 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher.
- Automotive shop safety practices
- Use of automotive safety equipment
- Automotive personal protection equipment
- Automotive equipment safety
- Automotive Material Safety Data Sheet
- Handling, storage, removal, and disposal of chemicals in an automotive shop
- Automotive OSHA regulations
- Minnesota Right to Know Act
- SP2 Online Training
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- demonstrate automotive shop safety practices.
- demonstrate the use of automotive safety equipment.
- identify personal protection equipment.
- describe automotive equipment safety practices.
- identify locations of automotive Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- explain the content of automotive Material Safety Data Sheets.
- describe the proper handling, storage, removal, and disposal of chemicals in an automotive shop.
- identify automotive Occupational Safety Health Act (OSHA).
- explain the Minnesota Right to Know Act.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)