Dec 03, 2023
AST 1085 - Starting and Charging Systems Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab 4
Course Description: In this course, students will study the components, circuits, and theory of operation of the starting and charging systems. Students will use test equipment, diagnostic procedures, and flowcharts to interpret test results so that the correct repairs will be performed on inoperative starting and charging systems. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires completion of or to be concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1055 , AST 1065 , AST 1075 , and AST 1095 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher.
- Starting system components and functions
- Starter components and functions
- Starting Circuits G.M. Ford Chrysler
- Starting system operation
- Safety precautions relating to starting system testing
- Test Procedures
- Starter Draw
- Voltage Drop
- Control Circuit
- Interpret Test Results
- Charging system components and functions
- Alternator components and functions
- Charging system circuits Input Circuit A and B Output
- Alternator operation
- Safety precautions relating to charging system testing
- Test procedures
- Interpret test results
- Diagnose and repair starting and charging systems
- Perform NATEF tasks during shop times
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify safety precautions related to this course.
- develop an operational knowledge of starting and charging systems.
- perform complete tests on starting and charging systems.
- interpret test results on starting and charging systems.
- diagnose and repair starting and charging systems.
- perform NATEF tasks related to starting and charging systems.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)