Jun 13, 2021
AST 1015 - Automotive Brakes Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture 2Lab 4
Course Description: This course covers drum and disc brake systems, hydraulic systems, power brakes, and the basic theory of anti-lock brake systems. Theory, diagnosis, adjustment, and complete system rebuilding will be included during group discussions and shop applications. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): Concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1025 , AST 1035 , and AST 1045 . Assessment score placement in RDNG 0950 or above or completion of RDNG 0900 with a grade of C or higher; assessment score placement in ENGL 0090 or above or completion of ENGL 0080 with a grade of C or higher; Arithmetic assessment score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra assessment score of 76 or higher OR assessment score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above OR completion MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher.
Recommendation: We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math assessment retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Safety procedures and precautions related to automotive brake systems and service.
- Brake hydraulics
- Fluid pressure control
- Brake hoses and lines
- Master cylinder
- Power brakes
- Drum brakes
- Disc brakes
- Brake diagnosis
- Antilock braking systems
- Maintenance and operational techniques of related tools and equipment
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify safety procedures and precautions related to brake systems.
- demonstrate micrometer measuring.
- perform correct applicable machining techniques.
- demonstrate the proper operation of specialty equipment and tools.
- perform NATEF tasks related to automotive brake systems
- describe brake system operation and theory.
- identify brake system components and related parts.
- rebuild brake systems to industry standards.
- describe anti-lock brake system theory and operation.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)