Jun 13, 2021
AST 1035 - Four-Wheel Alignment Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture 2Lab 4
Course Description: This course covers diagnosis, corrections, and adjustments of the steering and suspension systems to correct poor handling, noise, and abnormal tire wear. Alignment theory, pre-alignment inspection, and adjustments using factory adjustments and after-market modifications on modern equipment are covered in group discussions and shop applications. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): Concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1015 , AST 1025 , and AST 1045 . Assessment score placement in RDNG 0950 or above or completion of RDNG 0900 with a grade of C or higher; assessment score placement in ENGL 0090 or above or completion of ENGL 0080 with a grade of C or higher; Arithmetic assessment score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra assessment score of 76 or higher OR assessment score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above OR completion MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher.
Recommendation: We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math assessment retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Safety procedures and precautions related to four wheel alignment
- Pre-alignment inspection
- Tire wear
- Alignment geometry
- Pulls and drifts
- Alignment instrumentation demonstration
- Wheel alignment procedures
- Maintenance and operational techniques of related tools and equipment.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify safety procedures and precautions related to four-wheel alignment.
- describe four-wheel alignment theory and function.
- identify alignment angles and their functions.
- perform adjustments to industry standards.
- demonstrate mechanical and after-market alignment adjustments.
- demonstrate the proper operation of specialty equipment and tools.
- perform NATEF tasks related to four wheel alignment.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)