Aug 14, 2020
AST 1055 - Automotive Service Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture 1Lab 2
Course Description: This course covers all of the tasks that are required for a person starting in the automotive field. Topics include automotive tools and equipment, perform tire service, lubrication, safety inspection, aim headlights, exhaust repair, drill and tap threads, install a helicoil, and interpret numbers associated with automotive repairs. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): Concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1065 , AST 1075 , AST 1085 , and AST 1095 . Assessment score placement in RDNG 0950 or above or completion of RDNG 0900 with a grade of C or higher; assessment score placement in ENGL 0090 or above or completion of ENGL 0080 with a grade of C or higher; Arithmetic assessment score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra assessment score of 76 or higher OR assessment score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above OR completion MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher.
Recommendation: We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math assessment retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Hand tools
- Aim headlights
- Tires Change Repair Balance
- Vehicle safety inspection
- Vehicle lubrication
- Vehicle oil change
- Exhaust repair
- Drill and tap threads
- Install helicoil
- Interpret numbers
- Discuss safety steps and precautions in each of the above
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- follow all safety procedures and precautions.
- aim headlights.
- perform vehicle safety inspection
- perform lubrication and oil change.
- repair exhaust systems.
- drill and tap threads.
- install helicoils.
- perform automotive-related mathematical functions by hand.
- perform NATEF tasks related to this course.
- use automotive hand tools correctly.
- change, balance, and repair a tire.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)