Oct 21, 2021
AST 1085 - Starting and Charging Systems Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture 2Lab 4
Course Description: In this course, students will study the components, circuits, and theory of operation of the starting and charging systems. Students will use test equipment, diagnostic procedures, and flowcharts to interpret test results so that the correct repairs will be performed on inoperative starting and charging systems. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): Concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1055 , AST 1065 , AST 1075 , and AST 1095 . Assessment score placement in RDNG 0950 or above or completion of RDNG 0900 with a grade of C or higher; assessment score placement in ENGL 0090 or above or completion of ENGL 0080 with a grade of C or higher; Arithmetic assessment score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra assessment score of 76 or higher OR assessment score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above OR completion MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher.
Recommendation: We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math assessment retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Starting system components and functions
- Starter components and functions
- Starting Circuits G.M. Ford Chrysler
- Starting system operation
- Safety precautions relating to starting system testing
- Test Procedures
- Starter Draw
- Voltage Drop
- Control Circuit
- Interpret Test Results
- Charging system components and functions
- Alternator components and functions
- Charging system circuits Input Circuit A and B Output
- Alternator operation
- Safety precautions relating to charging system testing
- Test procedures
- Interpret test results
- Diagnose and repair starting and charging systems
- Perform NATEF tasks during shop times
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify safety precautions related to this course.
- develop an operational knowledge of starting and charging systems.
- perform complete tests on starting and charging systems.
- interpret test results on starting and charging systems.
- diagnose and repair starting and charging systems.
- perform NATEF tasks related to starting and charging systems.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)