Sep 22, 2020
EDUC 2050 - Legal Issues in Education Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 3Lab None
Course Description: This course presents an overview of the legal environment and legal issues in education. The course will contrast sources of regulations from federal, state, and local authorities. In addition, students will examine a variety of issues relating to the rights and obligations of both students and educators, circumstances in the education environment, and their legal consequences.
Recommendation: Assessment score placement in RDNG 1000 or completion of RDNG 0900 or RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher.
- Legal framework within which public schools operate
- Instruction and curriculum issues School vouchers Charter schools
- Religion in public schools
- Constitutional rights of students in public schools
- Due process rights of students
- Privacy rights of public school students and their parents
- Legal requirements for individuals with disabilities
- School liability and teachers duty of care
- Discrimination in employment issues
- Rights and freedoms of public school teachers
- Teacher employment issues involving tenure, dismissal, etc.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify the sources of law which regulate education.
- describe conduct and circumstances which have the potential to create legal action.
- describe the legal rights of students.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)