Sep 18, 2020
EDUC 2070 - Special Education Issues for Educators Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 3Lab None
Course Description: This course introduces students to the foundations of special education with an emphasis on the role of the classroom teacher and the paraeducator. The course is designed to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to support special needs students in special education programs.
Recommendation: Assessment score placement into RDNG 1000 or completion of RDNG 0900 or RDNG 0950 with a C or higher.
- Foundations of Special Education
- Characteristics of Exceptional Learners
- Special Education Categories/Designations
- Special Education Processes and Procedures
- Individualized Education Plans
- Roles and Responsibilities of the Classroom Teacher and the Paraeducator
- Instructional Support
- Behavioral Support
- Assessment Activities
- Data Privacy
- Family and Cultural Considerations
- Diversity and Special Education
- Parents, Families and the Impact of Disabilities
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- implement activities suggested by students Individual Education Plan.
- describe the philosophical, historical, and legal foundations of special education.
- define terminology related to special education.
- describe the characteristics of exceptional learners and associated disabilities
- describe special education processes and procedures: identification, evaluation, and placement.
- apply methods of data collection, observation, and documentation under the direction of a special education professional.
- define the concept of least restrictive environment.
- demonstrate an awareness of issues and challenges of parents and families of children with disabilities.
- demonstrate an awareness of issues related to cultural diversity and special education.
- describe the concepts put forth in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) to working with children with exceptionalities.
- describe the process of developing an Individual Education Plan and its contents.
- describe the role of professionalism and confidentiality in education including data privacy.
- list the continuum of services available to students with disabilities.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)